Total Pageviews

Welcome!

Thank you for dropping in. This is a calm place where I post articles I have written about relationships and personal issues. The articles acknowledge the fact that we all face difficult challenges at some time in our lives and we need to support each other. I hope you find them of assistance in your own joys and struggles. Please feel free to comment and I will endeavour to always reply. I wish you, your friends and families good health, nurturing relationships, the precious gift of resilience – and all the best for all of those things in the coming year.

Monday 2 July 2012

Why babies need cuddles and smiles

Propped on my desk is a homemade, hand-drawn postcard from my daughter overseas. It shows a mother rabbit cuddling one of her offspring and the words “I love you… to the stars and back”. It refers to a picture book I used to read to her, a reminder of sweet bed-times when she was little, when I’d make her giggle by adding my own words: “I love you to the stars, through the Milky Way, around the entire universe and back.” Naturally I found her reference to our shared memory very touching. Even before Coco was born, I knew I loved her with the fierceness of a tigress standing guard over her cubs. When she did arrive, I found I also acquired the tenderness and patience of a saint. I was amazed by her beauty – those deep, shiny, crystal-clear eyes, dear little lips at my breast, her tiny starfish hands. Many parents have felt his surge of love for their newborns, which is just as well for the human race. As it turns out, love and affection when we are babies are the essential ingredients of healthy development, with benefits for both the immune system and the brain. Because the brain’s orbitofrontal cortex develops almost entirely after birth, a baby’s experiences then are crucial. So this part of the brain’s development, which largely governs a person’s ability to manage his or her emotional responses, is influenced by the baby’s key relationships. Without even realising it, when we enjoy our babies and give them affection, when we respond warmly to their smiles, sing songs to them and look lovingly into their eyes, we are helping to grow that part of the brain that will enable them to interact socially, including their ability to empathise with others. What happens when that affection is missing was demonstrated by the discovery in 1989 of orphanages full of abandoned children in Romania where a ban on birth control had been in place since the late 1960s, leading to many unwanted births. Although their physical needs had been met, the orphans were left in their cots all day without any interaction with adults – no cuddles, no playing, talking or singing – and this part of the brain failed to develop, leaving them with lifelong emotional, behavioural and physical problems. People with damage to the orbitofrontal cortex can’t relate to others sensitively and will be oblivious to the usual social and emotional cues. At the extreme, they can be sociopathic. In evolutionary terms it is a newer part of the brain and is important in managing the emotional reactions set off in the more primitive parts. It can inhibit rage and fear reactions, for instance, applying the brakes and asserting control. As Sue Gerhardt says in her excellent book Why Love Matters (Routledge, 2007), “This ability to hold back and defer immediate impulses and desires is the basis for our will power and self-control, as well as our capacity for empathy.” She suggests that a possible evolutionary reason why this part of the human brain develops after birth, and is therefore open to social influence, is so each new person can be moulded to fit his or her environment. So there will be fewer 'cuckoos in the nest', if you like. “In a sense, the human baby has to be invited to participate in human culture," she writes. "The first step in the process is to get the baby hooked on social interaction itself by making it highly pleasurable.” All this shouldn’t scare new parents into feeling guilty for being cranky or frustrated at times. That's life. What counts most are the experiences that are frequent and repeated, so as long as you are giving your baby positive looks most of the time that you interact with him or her, you have nothing to fear. If that is not the case and you're feeling overwhelmed and out of control, seek support from friends, family or an organisation such as Lifeline (telephone 13 11 15).

2 comments:


  1. FAST AND GENUINE LOVE SPELL CASTER TO SETTLE YOUR RELATIONSHIP OR MARRIAGE PROBLEMS OF ALL KINDS email: odionspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2347038832903.
    Special thanks to a powerful spell caster Called Dr. Odion who brought my lost lover back with 48hours and since i contact him through email: odionspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2347038832903. my life has turn around for good, me and my husband are the best couple in world  since i contacted this man for help through email: odionspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2347038832903. for fast response believe me that you will find happiness when this man for work you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW DR. UNEME brought back my ex lover unemespellben@gmail.com
    Am DONNA, am from UK. After been in a relationship with my Boyfriend for 1 year now and we were planning to get married soon and all of a sudden he left me for another girl. of a truth, I really love this guy and never can I imagine life without him. I further tried all my best to get him back but all my effort to get him back in my life did not work out. It was on this faithful day, I came across some Testimonies on a website about this great spell caster called (Dr. UNEME) any persons claimed that he help them to renew their relationship and bring their ex lover back, I had to contact him because he was my last hope. I contacted him through his email and he assured me that in three days time my boyfriend is going to leave the other girl and come back to me and it was a very great surprise to see my boyfriend coming back to me after three days the spell was done. I am so very happy today that he came back to me and i achieved this with the help of Dr UNEME I equally want to use this opportunity to Tell/Advice to as many who need their ex back, if you need his help you can Contact him through
    EMAIL: unemespellben@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM @ +2348143813120


    Thank You Once Again Dr.UNEME

    ReplyDelete